Enabling Disk Performance Counters in Task Manager
In Windows Server 2012 R2, disk performance counters were disabled by default because of significant performance impact in collecting Disk metrics on a Server.
This is due to the overhead Task Manager can cause when querying each Disk IO for each process/thread on the individual disk.
It is recommended to use Resource Monitor to gauge Disk usage.
Enabling Disk Performance Counters
- Ensure Task Manager is closed.
- Launch the Command Prompt using the “Run as Administrator” option.
- Enter the following at the Command Prompt:
- Hit Enter.
- Close the Command Prompt.
- Re-open the Task Manager.
If you need to disable disk performance counters , run diskperf -N